Visiting

Historical Sites
Byng Cairn:
Located on the SE corner of SW 16-32-8W
 
Dedication states:
 
BYNG SCHOOL DISTRICT
NO. 1948
1919-1960
 
BYNG SCHOOLLOCATED ON THE SE CORNER OF SW 16-32-8W. THIS SCHOOL SERVED THE CHILDREN OF PIONEERS ENGAGED IN MIXED FARMING AND WOODCUTTING, AS WELL AS EDUCATION. THE SCHOOL PROVIDED A PLACE FOR LOCAL MEETINGS, SUNDAY SCHOOL, PICNICS, DANCES AND SCHOOL CONCERTS. THE LONGEST SERVING TEACHER WAS EDGAR MACKRELL, WHO TAUGHT FROM 1925 TO 1947. DUE TO LACK OF ENROLLMENT, THE SCHOOL WAS CLOSED PERMANENTLY IN 1960. ON JANUARY 1, 1979 THE BYNG DISTRICT WAS CONSOLIDATED WITH OTHER SCHOOLS IN THE AREA TO FORM THE FRONTIER DIVISION NO. 48. THE NEW SCHOOL IS NOT IN THE VILLAGE OF GYPSUMVILLE
 
WE DEDICATE THIS CAIRN TO THE PIONEERS, TEACHERS, STUDENTS AND ALL WHO PASSED THROUGH THE DOORS OF BYNG SCHOOL.
 
Gypsumville CairGypsumville Cairn:
 
Located beside the Gypsumville Memorial Hall in Gypsumville, Manitoba.
 
Dedication States:
 
 
THE GYPSUMVILLE WOMEN'S INSTITUTE (EST. 1919) & THE GYPSUMVILLE COMMUNITY CLUB (EST. 1950) DEDICATE THIS CAIRN IN HONOUR AND MEMORY OF OUR PIONEERS AND VETERANS OF THE TWO WORLD WARS.
 
 
 
Davis Point Cairn:
 
Davis Point CairnLocated along Davis Point Road #2 on SW 15-31-10W
 
Dedication States:
 
A CONSERVATION PROJECT UNDERTAKEN FOR THE PERPETUATION OF NORTH AMERICA'S WATERFOWL RESOURCES BUILT IN 1981 BY DUCKS UNLIMITED CANADA IN CO-OPERATION WITH THE PROVINCE OF MANITOBA, THE LGD OF GRAHAMDALE, LOCAL LANDOWNERS AND LESSEES. FUNDS FOR THIS PROJECT WERE GENEROUSLY PROVIDED BY WISCONSIN DU LIFE SPONSORS:
  • JOSEPH T. STEUER
  • DEDRIC W. BERGSTROM
  • S. DEXTER HASTINGS
  • HOWARD J. LANGENFELD
  • CHARLES R. MORGAN
  • ROBERT S. ASMUTH
  • TERRY J. KOHLER
  • GREGORY GIRDAUKAS
  • DR. PETER B. THEOBOLD
 
Steep Rock Church Cairn:
Steep Rock Church Cairn 
Located beside the Steep Rock United Church
 
Dedication States:
 
STEEP ROCK CANADIAN LEGION ATONA BRANCH #235 IN HONOUR OF OUR VETERANS WHO SERVICE IN WORLD WARS I, II AND OREA DEDICATED BY MEMBERS OF THE STEEP ROCK ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION AND THE LADIES AUXILIARYWE WILL REMEMBER THEM.
 
Canada Cement Cairn:
 
Located beside the Train in Steep Rock, Manitoba
 
DEDICATION:
 
PORTLAND CEMENT ASSOCIATION HONOURABLE MENTION AWARD THIS IS TO CERTIFY THAT CANADA CEMENT COMPANY LTD. STEEP ROCK, MANITOBA HAS OPERATED THROUGHOUT THE YEAR 1944 WITHOUT LOST-TIME, PERMANENT DISABILITY OR FATAL ACCIDENT. IN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THIS EXCELLENT SAFETY ACHIEVEMENT THIS PLAQUE IS AWARDED BY PORTLAND CEMENT ASSOCIATION.
 
RE-AWARDED:
 
 
1945, 1946, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989
 
St. Martin Cairn:
St. Martin Cairn 
Located in between the St. Martin Hall and Northern Interlake Recreation Centre
 
Dedication States:
 
DEDICATED IN HONOUR OF THE PIONEERS WHO SETTLED WITH THEIR FAMILIES IN THIS AREA. WE SHALL CHERISH OUR HERITAGE FOREVER.
 
ST. MARTIN COMMUNITY CLUB 1996